BRIC is a leading arts and media institution anchored in Downtown Brooklyn whose work spans contemporary visual and performing arts, media, and civic action. For over forty years, BRIC has shaped Brooklyn’s cultural and media landscape by presenting and incubating artists, creators, students, and media makers. As a creative catalyst for their community. BRIC ignites learning in people of all ages and centralizes diverse voices that take risks and drive culture forward. BRIC is building Brooklyn’s creative future.
About the Director of People & Culture Role:
BRIC seeks a strategic and experienced people and culture leader to develop a transformational cohesive talent strategy for BRIC that builds and improves upon existing processes and systems. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Director of People & Culture will be responsible for identifying and implementing best practices in talent management as well as serving as in-house expert and strategist on all talent & HR-related issues. This role supports team members throughout the organization in the areas of talent development, talent acquisition, employee relations, and the overall candidate and employee experience from hire to retire. The Director will build, enhance, promote and measure frameworks, policies, and tools that support strategies used to develop, reward, and retain BRIC’s extraordinary people.
What You’ll Do in the Role:
The Director of People & Culture will be responsible for the following in addition to any other project as assigned by their manager, the Chief Operating Officer:
Team Development & Performance
- Continually improve onboarding and orientation programs, content, and materials to ensure new hires are consistently set up for success prior to “day one” and forward
- Develop role-specific (and then individually-customized) learning plans; and identify effective and relevant professional development resources
- Build, adjust and manage to feedback, progression readiness, and performance review frameworks, processes and tools to ensure team members and supervisors deliver/receive timely actionable feedback, both formal and informal
- Gather periodic feedback (no less than annual) of key people processes and tools for ongoing improvements including, but not limited to, core competencies
- Provide day-to-day performance management guidance to managers
- Partner with senior leadership on overall compensation benchmarking, tools and processes
- Identify appropriate metrics and tools to drive and measure success of talent development efforts; and prepare quarterly report-outs and recommendations for senior leadership
Recruitment & Selection Strategy & Execution
- Manage full life-cycle of recruiting for BRIC; project manage standardized recruitment and selection/tools; and continually deliver positive candidate experiences
- Maintain accurate, updated, and version-controlled competency-based rubrics for all roles; partner with hiring managers to revise existing (or create new) competency-based rubrics, postings, and strategies for focused recruitment, hiring, and retention efforts
- Develop internal program of brand-ambassadors to develop robust pipeline of future talent
- Create collateral and manage on-line presence to attract and retain mission-aligned talent (social media including, but not limited to, LinkedIn, Glassdoor site and responses, etc.)
- Identify appropriate metrics and tools to measure the effectiveness of recruitment efforts; and prepare quarterly reports and recommendations for senior leadership
- Designs an efficient, informative, and comprehensive on-boarding process that fully introduces and integrates new staff members into the culture at BRIC and ensures they have all of the resources they need to get off to a strong start in their new role
- Promote highly functioning and inclusive workplace as primary contact and liaison for compliance, benefits, employee relations, and policy issues
- Develop and execute plans to build team cohesion across distributed locations/teams
- Support internal and external diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts to build a thriving team with various backgrounds and strengths
- Partner with leadership to develop, communicate and maintain (no less than annually) compliant Team Member Guidelines (Employee Handbook policies) aligned with BRIC’s values, culture, and locations
- Identify/design and deploy tools to gauge employee satisfaction, communicate results, and recommend strategies to address impediments, if any
Operations, Benefits and Payroll
- Identifies and systematizes successful operational and project management methods across the department; and develops and strengthens resources for program evaluation and support.
- Develops and continually enhances a best-in-class compensation plan and philosophy for the organization.
- Oversees the day-to-day support for employees with inquiries regarding benefits and payroll, and other employment issues, with a focus on ensuring that all staff receive helpful, courteous, and responsive customer service addressing their questions, concerns, and needs
- Optimizes and manages HR systems, processes, and workflows, ensuring that they are designed to ensure accuracy and excellent customer service
- Designs and enhances an HR data infrastructure that enables efficient access to information and supports the BRIC’s ongoing operational and instructional goals
- Oversees external vendors to ensure that benefits, payroll, and other aspects of the human resources infrastructure operate with both exceptional accuracy and a strong customer service orientation
- Manages all labor and employment compliance issues, working closely as necessary with outside legal counsel
You’ll Bring these Skills and Strengths to the Role:
The ideal candidate will have the following professional skills, qualities, and competencies:
- Mission & Values Alignment: A passion for BRIC’s support of the arts in Brooklyn and a deep commitment to building community, igniting learning and making change through the arts and creativity.
- People Centered. Demonstrates a belief in the power of people and knows that when strong processes align with a great team, magic can happen. Ascribes to a servant leadership philosophy and uses a human-centered approach when deriving any policy or process impacting BRIC staff.
- Communication & Relationship Building: An emotionally intelligent, values- and results-driven leader who can inspire staff and collaborate across departments and at all levels of the organization, and provide feedback and coaching to support the achievement of goals. Highly skilled communicator and relationship builder, both individually and in large audience or public communications.
- Commitment to Equity & Inclusion: Brings experience operationalizing equity within the function and setting an equity and justice-rooted strategy for revenue generation and team management.
- Executive & Team Leadership: Strong management experience and demonstrated ability to establish, lead, and drive objectives - particularly in a highly dynamic and evolving environment. Proven track record of meeting or exceeding budgeted goals by managing staff and volunteer performance. Proven ability to translate strategic thinking about complex challenges and organizational gaps into executable plans to deliver on strategic imperatives and solve problems large and small, and measure progress towards goals.
Other Things to Know:
- Status and location: This is a full-time, exempt role based in our Brooklyn office.
- Benefits: BRIC has a comprehensive benefits package, including: paid time off, 403B retirement plan, gym membership discounts, pre-tax transit cards, medical flexible spending plans and more. The best part - BRIC currently pays 100% the premium for employee medical, dental and vision coverage.
- Mission & Values: BRIC is committed to building Brooklyn's creative future. We advance opportunities for visual artists, performers, and media makers. We present bold work that reflects diverse audiences and speaks to the world. We ignite learning in people of all ages. We unite Brooklyn through art and creativity to build community and make change.
BRIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot be used as a basis for an employment decision.