BRIC is a leading arts and media institution anchored in Downtown Brooklyn whose work spans contemporary visual and performing arts, media, and civic action. For over forty years, BRIC has shaped Brooklyn’s cultural and media landscape by presenting and incubating artists, creators, students, and media makers. As a creative catalyst for their community, BRIC ignites learning in people of all ages and centralizes diverse voices that take risks and drive culture forward. BRIC is building Brooklyn’s creative future.
About the Vice President for Advancement Role:
BRIC seeks a strategic and experienced Vice President for Advancement to lead BRIC’s efforts to achieve our annual contributed income goals from individuals, foundations (including corporate philanthropy) and government agencies. Reporting to the President, the VP for Advancement will build and lead a small team of no more than 10 to develop and execute BRIC’s fundraising strategy. The VP for Advancement will be a driving force behind BRIC’s fundraising efforts. We are looking for an exceptional fundraiser, relationship builder, communicator and team leader who is committed to ensuring a more vibrant future for the arts in Brooklyn and beyond.
What You’ll Do in the Role:
The Vice President for Advancement will be responsible for the following, in addition to any other project as assigned by their manager, the President:
Strategy & Reporting:
- Design and lead the long-term revenue generation strategy for BRIC to raise $10 million annually from individual donors, foundations (including corporate philanthropy), government agencies and events.
- Partner closely with the Finance team on revenue strategy and all reporting.
- Plan and direct the fundraising strategy for individuals, foundations (including corporate philanthropy) and government agencies. Build the fundraising strategy and lead the team to work collaboratively on reaching revenue goals.
- Serve as the relationship manager for existing individual donors and prospects. Lead the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of these critical donors and direct the President’s fundraising activities.
- Implement best in class practices for effectively shepherding all prospects and donors to support BRIC. Lead the team to develop concept papers, proposals, reports, end of year mailing campaigns, events and all necessary activities to secure the revenue.
- Partner with the President on the overall revenue strategy for the organization and build systems and structures that bring a spirit of teamwork and collaboration.
- Oversee the revenue and expenditure budgets, including development, implementation, tracking, and regular reporting to staff, the senior management team and the Boards of Directors.
- With the support of the development team, prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual reports and financial analyses for the Senior Management Team as well as presentations for the Board of Directors and Committees on progress toward financial goals, and provide guidance and direction to achieve objectives.
- Ensure clear, accurate, and consistent reporting and communication between the Finance and Development departments, reviewing and tracking annual and long-term income and expenditure budgets. Ensure accurate tracking and reporting of restricted gifts and c3 / c4 foundation activities and expenditures.
Board of Directors:
- Manage the Board of Directors’ philanthropic giving, partner with the President and Board to strengthen volunteer-led fundraising activities and work closely with the President and the Board Nominating Committee to build a pipeline of candidates for BRIC’s Board of Directors and other volunteer leadership opportunities.
- Partner with BRIC’s President and Board of Directors to deploy them in service of meeting fundraising goals.
Team Management & Leadership:
- Manage, coach and support the Development team members by providing expertise about major giving, sponsorships and events and create ongoing learning opportunities to grow and motivate the team.
- Partner with the Senior Management Team, Development managers, Board of Directors, and programmatic staff to cultivate a culture of philanthropy throughout the organization.
- Encourage a culture of high performance, continuous learning and commitment to quality by setting and modeling high standards, including through establishing and monitoring staff performance and development goals, regular performance feedback, supporting career development opportunities, fostering a collaborative environment of growth and learning and facilitating a healthy work/life balance.
You’ll Bring these Skills and Strengths to the Role:
The ideal candidate will have the following professional skills, qualities, and competencies:
- Mission & Values Alignment: A passion for BRIC’s support of the arts in Brooklyn and a deep commitment to building community, igniting learning and making change through the arts and creativity.
- Expertise & Leadership in Fundraising: Exemplary track record directing a large advancement function and demonstrated results securing five and six figure gifts. Expertise in the full scope of fundraising activities at all levels of donation with a focus on the NYC market. Deep understanding of anti-racist and anti-oppressive practices in fundraising.
- Communication & Relationship Building: An emotionally intelligent, values- and results-driven leader who can inspire staff and partners, and collaborate across departments and at all levels of the organization, and provide feedback and coaching to support the achievement of goals. Highly skilled communicator and relationship builder, both individually and in large audience or public communications.
- Commitment to Equity & Inclusion: Brings experience operationalizing equity within the fundraising function and setting an equity and justice rooted strategy for revenue generation and team management.
- Executive & Team Leadership: Strong management experience and demonstrated ability to establish, lead, and drive objectives - particularly in a highly dynamic and evolving environment. Proven track record of meeting or exceeding budgeted goals by managing staff and volunteer performance. Proven ability to translate strategic thinking about complex challenges and organizational gaps into executable plans to deliver on strategic imperatives and solve problems large and small, and measure progress towards goals.
Other Things to Know:
- Status and location: This is a full-time, exempt role based in our Brooklyn office.
- Benefits: BRIC has a comprehensive benefits package, including: paid time off, 403B retirement plan, gym membership discounts, pre-tax transit cards, medical flexible spending plans and more. The best part - BRIC currently pays 100% of the premium for employee medical, dental and vision coverage starting 3 months from your hire date.
- Mission & Values: BRIC is committed to building Brooklyn's creative future. We advance opportunities for visual artists, performers, and media makers. We present bold work that reflects diverse audiences and speaks to the world. We ignite learning in people of all ages. We unite Brooklyn through art and creativity to build community and make change.
BRIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot be used as a basis for an employment decision.