BRIC is a leading arts and media institution anchored in Downtown Brooklyn whose work spans contemporary visual and performing arts, media, and civic action. For over forty years, BRIC has shaped Brooklyn’s cultural and media landscape by presenting and incubating artists, creators, students, and media makers. As a creative catalyst for their community. BRIC ignites learning in people of all ages and centralizes diverse voices that take risks and drive culture forward. BRIC is building Brooklyn’s creative future.
About the Development Associate Role:
BRIC seeks a Development Associate who will play a key role in bringing to life the relationships between BRIC’s donor base and our programming through membership campaigns, galas, and an annual giving appeal. By coordinating communications with members, donors, and working at events at BRIC House and at the BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival at the Prospect Park Bandshell, the Development Associate helps to fulfill member benefits and ensure positive ongoing relations with donors.
What You’ll Do in the Role:
The Development Associate will be responsible for the following in addition to any other project as assigned by their manager:
- Act as the main outward-facing BRIC membership ambassador at a robust calendar of BRIC events including the BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival, member exhibition openings, galas, and performances.
- Coordinate member check-in at events by setting up the check-in area, greeting and wrist-banding members and other VIPs, scanning ID cards, answering questions about benefits, and troubleshooting as needed. This includes being onsite at every performance during the BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival as well as other key events throughout the year.
- Coordinate Business Friend member promotions at events
- Collect and organize print/electronic ads for event programs.
Donor Memberships & Communication
- Process all contributions via BRIC Membership, Friends of the BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival, BRIC galas, and BRIC’s annual fund with a year-end appeal. This includes vouchering income, batching gifts in Raiser’s Edge, filing gift records, and preparing acknowledgement letters on a daily/timely basis.
- Coordinate Membership ID card printing and distribution for BRIC membership programs.
- Support seasonal membership drives including BRIC JazzFest, Holiday Drive, and BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival.
- Develop member communications such as eblasts and member spotlights
- Assist with phone follow up, email communication, and letter writing with all donors.
- Assist with prospect research
- Track member attendance from scanned ID cards in Raiser’s Edge.
- Assist with mailings by maintaining donor contact information in Raiser’s Edge, preparing mailing lists, merging solicitation letters, and assembling mailings.
- Prepare income reports.
- Provide additional administrative support to the development team as needed.
You’ll Bring these Skills and Strengths to the Role:
- Mission & Values Alignment: A passion for BRIC’s support of the arts in Brooklyn and a deep commitment to building community, igniting learning and making change through the arts and creativity.
- Administrative, Fundraising & Database Experience. Bachelors or Masters degree in related fields. Three years of administrative experience at a non-profit arts organization, and preferably at least two years working with membership programs or in a development role. Experience and/or interest in fundraising, membership programs, and special events for non-profit arts organizations. Experience working with Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce or other fundraising databases. Experience working with Google Suite, Eventbrite, Mailchimp and other ticketing and email platforms.
- Detail Oriented. Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills, with keen attention to detail, abundance of energy, self-direction, organization, ability to think fast on your feet.
- Communication & Relationship Building: An emotionally intelligent, values- and results-driven team player who can collaborate across the development department to support the achievement of goals. A skilled communicator and relationship builder.
- Commitment to Equity & Inclusion: Brings experience operationalizing equity within the fundraising function.
Other Things to Know:
- Status and location: This is a full-time, non-exempt role based in our Brooklyn office. During the summer season, June to September, the Development Associate will work a modified schedule in order to be present at all performances as part of the BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival. The summer schedule is Tuesday - Saturday. with office hours from 10am to 6pm + approximately 30 performances primarily on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday evenings. Presence at additional evening and weekend events throughout the year will be required.
- Benefits: BRIC has a comprehensive benefits package, including: paid time off, 403B retirement plan, gym membership discounts, pre-tax transit cards, medical flexible spending plans and more. The best part - BRIC currently pays 100% the premium for employee medical, dental and vision coverage starting 3 months from your hire date.
- Mission & Values: BRIC is committed to building Brooklyn's creative future. We advance opportunities for visual artists, performers, and media makers. We present bold work that reflects diverse audiences and speaks to the world. We ignite learning in people of all ages. We unite Brooklyn through art and creativity to build community and make change.