BRIC is a leading arts and media institution anchored in Downtown Brooklyn whose work spans contemporary visual and performing arts, media, and civic action. For over forty years, BRIC has shaped Brooklyn’s cultural and media landscape by presenting and incubating artists, creators, students, and media makers. As a creative catalyst for their community, BRIC ignites learning in people of all ages and centralizes diverse voices that take risks and drive culture forward. BRIC is building Brooklyn’s creative future.
Our number one priority is the health and safety of our staff and their families, our artists, performers and media makers, our partners, our patrons, and the communities we serve. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical reasons or sincerely-held religious beliefs, we will consider requests for reasonable accommodation consistent with our policy, and where we are able to provide such accommodations without undue hardship to the company pursuant to applicable law.
About the Director of Technology Role:
BRIC seeks a Director of Technology to design, operate and maintain the complex telecommunications and technical infrastructure for BRIC Community Media and BRIC overall.
What You’ll Do in the Role:
The Director of Technology will be responsible for the following in addition to any other project as assigned by their manager, the Senior Vice President, Community Media:
- Supervises engineering, IT and master control staff; oversees training and scheduling for master control operation
- Has primary responsibility for technology in the media center and its programs, including computers and video production equipment, television and digital transmission, content management, studios, cameras, computers, edit stations, etc
- Prepares capital and operating budgets and oversees purchasing
- Oversees technical support for BRIC TV and community video productions.
- Selects and supervises system integrators and consultants to integrate equipment and applications in the media center
- Serves as BRIC’s liaison with engineers from cable and broadband providers
- Oversees BRIC’s best-in-class content distribution systems, including:
- Television production studios and editing suites,
- Program scheduling and playback automation,
- HD production workflow,
- Transmission on cable television, via internet stream, social media and future platforms.
- Technical support for development of satellite locations.
- Leads coordination of BRIC-wide technology systems, including office computer network, computer purchasing, telephone and voicemail systems, internet and telephone connectivity
- Oversees operation of BRIC-wide media asset management system.
- Collaborates with BRIC staff in other disciplines to develop and implement programming that includes a technical media component.
- Assesses technical services and reports on outcomes against goals
You’ll Bring these Skills and Strengths to the Role:
- Mission & Values Alignment: A passion for BRIC’s support of the arts in Brooklyn and a deep commitment to building community, igniting learning and making change through the arts and creativity.
- Experience. College degree plus five or more years in a technical leadership role at broadcast/cablecast distribution facilities. Strong understanding of network infrastructure and back office operations. Proficiency with common office software applications. Experience with production and post-production workflows. Experience managing staff.
- Additional Experience (Preferred). SBE certification, facilities design, setting up and maintaining internal phone systems, performing arts technical needs, public access television, HVAC design and operation, security systems, digital distribution platforms, understanding of media asset management systems, virtual presentations and communications, strong written communication skills.
- Software systems. Multi-channel content lifecycle management, web check out facilities and asset management, digital content asset management system, centralized remote application/hardware access, IP phone system, salesforce CRM
- Communication & Relationship Building: An emotionally intelligent, values- and results-driven leader who can inspire staff and collaborate across departments and at all levels of the organization, and provide feedback and coaching to support the achievement of goals. Is a relationship builder and creative problem solver. Ability to learn from and work with practitioners in the field.
- Commitment to Equity & Inclusion: Brings experience operationalizing equity within the technology function.
Other Things to Know:
- Compensation: The annual salary range for this position is $115K -$120K.
- Status and location: This is a full-time, exempt role based in our Brooklyn office.
- Benefits: BRIC has a comprehensive benefits package, including: paid time off, 403B retirement plan, gym membership discounts, pre-tax transit cards, medical flexible spending plans and more. BRIC currently pays 100% of the premium for employee medical, dental and vision coverage starting on the first of the month, after 2 months of employment.
- Mission & Values: BRIC is committed to building Brooklyn's creative future. We advance opportunities for visual artists, performers, and media makers. We present bold work that reflects diverse audiences and speaks to the world. We ignite learning in people of all ages. We unite Brooklyn through art and creativity to build community and make change.
BRIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot be used as a basis for an employment decision.