BRIC is a leading arts and media institution anchored in Downtown Brooklyn whose work spans contemporary visual and performing arts, media, and civic action. For over forty years, BRIC has shaped Brooklyn’s cultural and media landscape by presenting and incubating artists, creators, students, and media makers. As a creative catalyst for their community. BRIC ignites learning in people of all ages and centralizes diverse voices that take risks and drive culture forward. BRIC builds Brooklyn’s creative future.
Our number one priority is the health and safety of our staff and their families, our artists, performers and media makers, our partners, our patrons, and the communities we serve. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical reasons or sincerely held religious beliefs, we will consider requests for reasonable accommodation consistent with our policy, and where we are able to provide such accommodations without undue hardship to the company pursuant to applicable law.
About the Part Time Public Safety Officer Role:
BRIC seeks a part time Public Safety Officer to oversee safety and enforce rules in BRIC House, with a focus on the public lobby and Media Center.
What You’ll Do in the Role:
The part time Public Safety Officer will be responsible for the following in addition to any other project as assigned by their manager, the Operations Manager:
- Observe and patrol the facility, including the lobby, media center, outside perimeter, and offices.
- Use camera surveillance to monitor building activity and “access control system” to activate/deactivate the building alarm, operate doors and other functions.
- Monitor the activity of visitors to the building and enforce building rules with firmness and tact.
- Respond to any complaints or suspicious activity; assist in investigations and follow-up.
- Perform safety inspections.
- Respond to emergency situations including fire alarms, elevator emergencies and 9-1-1 calls for sick or injured visitors.
- Record activity in a security log and prepare incident reports.
- Communicate regularly with the Director of Operations; report any unsafe conditions, incidents or building issues.
- Serve as building Fire Guard for public events.
- Assist in responding to inquiries from visitors.
- Perform other duties included in the Public Safety Officer Manual or assigned by the Director of Operations.
You’ll Bring these Skills and Strengths to the Role:
- Mission & Values Alignment: A passion for BRIC’s support of the arts in Brooklyn and a deep commitment to building community, igniting learning and making change through the arts and creativity.
- Commitment to Equity & Inclusion: Desire to operationalize equity within the Operations function.
- Qualifications and Experience
- High School Diploma (Bachelor’s Degree a plus).
- Three years of experience in security and/or face-to-face customer service.
- Valid NYS Security Officer License (or willing to obtain this before start date).
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to enforce rules.
- Certificate of Fitness F-01 and F-03 will be required upon hire.
- Communication & Relationship Building: An emotionally intelligent, values- and results-driven team player. Skilled communicator and relationship builder.
- Organization & Time Management: Ability to work independently, prioritize tasks across competing deadlines, and be proactive.
Other Things to Know:
- Compensation: The rate for this position is $18/hour for house security and $20/hour for special events.
- Status and location: This is a part-time role based in our Brooklyn office, 15-20 hours per week. Regular weekend hours available. Candidates must be from the NYC area.
- Mission & Values: BRIC builds Brooklyn's creative future. We advance opportunities for visual artists, performers, and media makers. We present bold work that reflects diverse audiences and speaks to the world. We ignite learning in people of all ages. We unite Brooklyn through art and creativity to build community and make change.
BRIC is an Equal Opportunity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot be used as a basis for an employment decision.